Am I Overthinking Boxing Games, or Are Developers Underthinking Boxing?
I keep hearing versions of the same argument.
I am supposedly overthinking what a boxing videogame should be.
There are too many systems.
Too many details.
Too many tendencies.
Too many defensive options.
Too many variables.
Too much realism.
Too much concern about how individual boxers actually move, react, defend, fatigue, recover, think, adjust, and fight.
And eventually somebody asks:
“But is all of that really necessary for the game to be fun?”
I think that question exposes one of the biggest problems facing boxing videogames.
Maybe I am not overthinking boxing.
Maybe too many developers have been underthinking it.
When Did Depth Become the Enemy of Fun?
There seems to be an assumption in modern sports gaming that complexity and fun are enemies.
I completely disagree.
Depth does not automatically make a videogame frustrating.
Poorly designed depth does.
Bad controls do.
Bad tutorials do.
Bad interfaces do.
Bad AI does.
Bad balancing does.
Bad progression systems do.
Having more boxing underneath the hood does not mean every player must manually control every system.
A great boxing videogame should be capable of tremendous simulation depth while still allowing somebody to pick up the controller and throw punches.
Those two ideas are not contradictory.
That is what options, presets, assists, difficulty settings, sliders, gameplay styles, automation, tutorials, and intelligent default settings are supposed to accomplish.
The casual player should be able to play.
The hardcore boxing fan should be able to dig deeper.
The simulation player should be able to go even deeper than that.
The content creator should be able to experiment.
The CPU-vs-CPU player should be able to build realistic matchups.
The career player should be able to live inside a boxing world.
Why should one audience have to lose something so another audience can enjoy the game?
Boxing Is Already Deep
This is another part of the discussion people sometimes overlook.
I did not make boxing complicated.
Boxing is complicated.
Foot position matters.
Distance matters.
Timing matters.
Balance matters.
Weight transfer matters.
Rhythm matters.
Punch selection matters.
Punch placement matters.
Guard position matters.
Head movement matters.
Fatigue matters.
Damage matters.
Recovery matters.
Ring geography matters.
Reach matters.
Height matters.
Speed matters.
Power matters.
Experience matters.
Corner advice matters.
Opponent tendencies matter.
Styles matter.
Judges matter.
Referees matter.
Clinching matters.
Inside fighting matters.
Psychology matters.
Conditioning matters.
Preparation matters.
Small adjustments can completely change a fight.
So when somebody tells me that attempting to represent those things in a boxing videogame is “overthinking it,” what exactly are we saying?
Are we saying boxing itself has too much boxing in it?
Fighting Is Not Automatically Boxing
This is where some of the disconnect within the gaming community appears.
Some players simply enjoy fighting.
And there is nothing wrong with that.
They want action.
They want exchanges.
They want knockdowns.
They want knockouts.
They want combinations.
They want competition.
But enjoying fighting games and understanding boxing simulation are not automatically the same thing.
You can love punching somebody in a videogame and still not care whether the game accurately represents the sport of boxing.
That distinction matters.
A boxing videogame can contain gloves, ropes, licensed boxers, arenas, judges, championship belts, and knockouts while still missing much of what makes boxing actually look and behave like boxing.
A casual player may see a famous boxer throwing punches and think:
“That looks good enough.”
A serious boxing fan may immediately notice:
That is not how he moves.
That is not how he holds his guard.
That is not how he closes distance.
That is not how he reacts under pressure.
That is not how he throws his jab.
That is not how he fights inside.
That is not how he manages stamina.
That is not how he behaves when hurt.
That is not how he adjusts.
That is not how his style interacts with this opponent.
Those observations are not nitpicking.
They are the difference between representing a boxer and simply putting his likeness into a videogame.
“Fun” Should Not Be Used as an Excuse
The word fun gets used too loosely in game-development discussions.
Anytime realism becomes difficult, expensive, complicated, or inconvenient, somebody can simply say:
“We had to make it fun.”
But what does that mean?
Fun for whom?
The competitive online player?
The casual player?
The offline career player?
The boxing historian?
The simulation player?
The content creator?
The esports player?
The CPU-vs-CPU spectator?
The person who wants five-minute matches?
The person who wants twelve-round tactical fights?
There is no single universal definition of fun.
For me, watching two intelligently modeled CPU-controlled boxers reproduce a realistic stylistic matchup can be fun.
Building an amateur boxer and following his career for hundreds of bouts can be fun.
Studying an opponent's tendencies before a fight can be fun.
Having a corner identify mistakes between rounds can be fun.
Watching fatigue gradually alter a boxer's mechanics can be fun.
Seeing one boxer successfully take away another boxer's jab can be fun.
Watching a boxer change strategy because his original game plan failed can be fun.
Seeing a referee, judge, trainer, cutman, promoter, and boxer all behave differently can be fun.
Depth is fun to the people who value depth.
Developers should stop defining fun so narrowly.
Sometimes Simplification Looks Like Convenience
I also think the industry sometimes searches for the easiest route around difficult simulation problems.
True boxer individuality is difficult.
Advanced AI is difficult.
Realistic clinching is difficult.
Inside fighting is difficult.
Dynamic stamina is difficult.
Hundreds of boxer tendencies are difficult.
Realistic judging is difficult.
Career-world simulation is difficult.
Large creation systems are difficult.
Dynamic corner intelligence is difficult.
Authentic defensive systems are difficult.
Procedural variation is difficult.
Long-term simulation testing is difficult.
So the easier solution can become:
Reduce the variables.
Standardize movement.
Reuse animations.
Limit styles.
Simplify AI.
Remove systems.
Balance everybody toward competitive play.
Turn difficult boxing concepts into generic fighting-game mechanics.
Then explain that it was necessary because players want something accessible and fun.
I do not think accessibility should become an excuse for removing depth.
Good design should make depth accessible, not eliminate it.
Casual Fans Matter, but They Should Not Define the Ceiling
Casual boxing fans absolutely matter.
You need them.
They buy games.
They grow communities.
They become future hardcore fans.
My problem is not with casual players.
My problem is when casual expectations become the maximum design ceiling for everybody.
A casual player might not notice whether 200 boxer tendencies exist.
Fine.
That does not mean those tendencies should not exist.
A casual player may never touch advanced sliders.
Fine.
Someone else will.
A casual player might never create a referee, commission, boxing organization, gym, promoter, ruleset, or amateur tournament.
Fine.
Another player may spend hundreds of hours doing exactly that.
A casual player might never watch CPU-vs-CPU fights.
Fine.
A boxing historian, content creator, broadcaster, league organizer, or older boxing fan might love it.
The answer should not always be subtraction.
Sometimes the answer should simply be:
Give players choices.
Stop Designing Boxing Games Around the Least Interested Boxing Fan
Imagine designing a racing simulator around the person least interested in automobiles.
Imagine designing a flight simulator around somebody who does not care how airplanes work.
Imagine designing a football simulation while constantly removing football concepts because somebody might find them confusing.
Eventually the simulation loses its identity.
Boxing games face the same danger.
If the deepest boxing systems are constantly stripped away because the least invested player might not care about them, then eventually you are not designing upward.
You are designing downward.
That does not mean a boxing videogame should require a boxing education before someone can play.
It means the game should have a low barrier to entry and an incredibly high ceiling.
Easy to begin. Difficult to master. Deep enough to study.
That should be the goal.
Some People Want Me to Stop Talking
There is also another part of this discussion that I have become increasingly aware of.
Not everybody who says they support what I am doing actually wants me to continue pushing these conversations.
Some people like the concept of better boxing games until better boxing games require uncomfortable questions.
Why is this feature missing?
Why was that system removed?
Why are boxers behaving similarly?
Why is offline depth disappearing?
Why is competitive balance overriding authenticity?
Why are players still asking for systems sports games had decades ago?
Why are boxing fans expected to accept less?
Why should someone stop asking those questions just because other people are satisfied?
Sometimes support seems strongest when criticism is quiet.
The moment criticism becomes persistent, detailed, documented, and difficult to dismiss, attitudes can change.
That is why I sometimes believe certain people would prefer my silence while publicly presenting themselves as supportive.
I cannot prove another person's private motives.
But I can judge patterns of behavior.
Support should not mean:
“I support you as long as you stop challenging the things I already accepted.”
The Blueprint Is Not About Making Everyone Play My Way
This is important.
The Boxing Videogame Blueprint/Wishlist is not about forcing every player to play boxing the way I want.
It is almost the opposite.
I want more control in the player's hands.
Simulation.
Hybrid.
Arcade options.
Offline.
Online.
CPU-vs-CPU.
Deep career modes.
Creation systems.
Gameplay sliders.
AI sliders.
Rulesets.
Accessibility options.
Historical settings.
Different eras.
Different organizations.
Different styles.
Different ways to experience boxing.
I am advocating for a boxing platform deep enough to support multiple audiences without sacrificing the identity of the sport.
That is not overthinking.
That is systems design.
The Question Developers Should Ask
Instead of asking:
“How much boxing can we remove before casual players stop having fun?”
Ask:
“How much boxing can we simulate while still making the experience approachable?”
That produces a very different videogame.
It encourages modular systems.
Optional complexity.
Better AI.
Better tutorials.
Better presets.
Better simulation.
Better creation tools.
Better personalization.
Better accessibility.
And ultimately, greater longevity.
Because games with depth give players reasons to keep discovering things.
I Would Rather Ask for Too Much Than Keep Accepting Too Little
Maybe some people think The Boxing Videogame Blueprint/Wishlist asks for too much.
That is fine.
A blueprint should explore possibility.
A wishlist should challenge limitations.
A design discussion should ask what could exist, not merely repeat what already exists.
If developers eventually implement 60 percent, 70 percent, or 80 percent of an extremely ambitious boxing vision, that can still move the genre much further forward than beginning with a deliberately limited vision.
I would rather ask:
“How extraordinary can boxing simulation become?”
than begin development asking:
“What is the minimum we can get away with?”
Because boxing fans have already experienced enough minimums.
The technology is improving.
AI is improving.
Procedural systems are improving.
Animation technology is improving.
Hardware is improving.
Simulation tools are improving.
Development workflows are improving.
So expectations should be growing too.
Final Bell
No, I do not believe I am overthinking boxing.
I think boxing deserves to be thought about deeply.
I think individual boxers deserve deeper representation.
I think offline players deserve depth.
I think online players deserve options.
I think casual players deserve accessibility without forcing simplification on everybody else.
I think hardcore fans deserve a simulation ceiling high enough that they can continue discovering systems years after release.
And I think developers should be challenged when “fun” becomes a convenient explanation for removing the very things that make boxing boxing.
People are free to disagree with me.
They are free to prefer simpler boxing games.
They are free to enjoy what already exists.
But I am also free to keep asking for more.
I have spent too many years around boxing, boxing videogames, and boxing fans to pretend that throwing punches inside a ring is automatically enough.
I do not want developers to create the easiest boxing game they can make.
I want somebody to finally have the ambition to create one of the deepest sports simulations ever made.
And if asking for that is considered overthinking boxing?
Then maybe boxing videogames have been underthought for far too long.
Poe Speaks…
The Boxing Videogame Blueprint/Wishlist
“A Realistic Boxing Game Can Make a Hardcore Fan Out of a Casual.”
I deliberately framed the point about people “pretending” to support you around observable behavior rather than stating their private motives as fact. That makes the argument harder to dismiss while preserving the criticism.
No comments:
Post a Comment